The Butterfly Ginkgo Collection celebrates the representation of flora as fauna. Michael's fascination with a particular type of ginkgo tree, the ginkgo Biloba, or "Butterfly ginkgo", which grows with a double leaf reminiscent of a butterfly's wings, gave rise to a fantasia image of the plant. Executed at the highest level of handcraftsmanship, each piece is rendered in solid bronze with acid etched cocoon-shaped vessels. The pieces in the collection are a tour de force of Indian craft and capture the poetic spirit that is so deeply indicative of Michael's work.
"The first time I saw this tree, it literally looked like it had been completely overtaken by butterflies...as if they would all take flight the moment I walked too close or made a noise. The idea that the leaves could evoke the beauty of butterflies was magical to me, like trees that can metamorphose from flora to fauna in the blink of an eye." - Michael Aram
- 9.5"W x 11"L x 13.5"H, 4.25" Dia.; Oxidized, Natural Bronze, Stainless Steel, Enamel
Each Michael Aram metal object undergoes a series of grinding, buffing and polishing techniques. Variations or 'imperfections' in the product's finish are characteristic of the creation process. Due to this handmade nature, no two pieces are ever exactly alike. Please note that the variations in shape and finish are inherent to the hand-made process and should be considered part of the beauty of this piece.
Oxidized, Natural Bronze, Stainless Steel, Enamel
- Hand wash with a soft sponge, mild soap and water
- Do not use abrasive cleaners, steel wool or scouring pads that can scratch and dull metal surfaces
- Do not soak, even in plain water, or leave unwashed overnight
- Dry with a soft cloth to avoid spotting and pitting